Though it’s hard to get out of the house when you have an infant, it is extremely important that you go on a date with your spouse and communicate about things that matter. Here are some suggested topics of conversation:
1. Babyproofing and the inordinate number of unsolvable dangers in your home.
2. The physical and emotional complications of weaning.
3. The introduction of solid foods and the subtle science of palette control.
4. This week’s babysitting schedule.
5. The pain you still have in your hips from pregnancy/childbirth.
6. How much you love your child.
7. What educational toys you should purchase and the fine line between providing your child with every opportunity to learn… and spoiling the kid rotten.
8. Your child’s specific and insanely endearing quirks and proclivities.
9. How well-mannered and polite you hope your child will be as he grows up.
10. And finally, your parenting philosophies regarding television, skateboarding, sugar, horseback riding, etc. etc. etc.
If, after dessert, you have some time left on the clock with the babysitter, by all means, swing by the supermarket. Not only is this a romantic finale to your night out, it’s literally the only time you’ll have to re-stock your refrigerator and cupboards without the baby as a distraction.
Do you have an discussion suggestions?