Can You Get Food Poisoning From Uncrustables?

Can You Get Food Poisoning From Uncrustables?

We are all passionate about uncrustables but unfortunately, they are not the healthiest way to eat a sandwich. It is considered highly healthy to make your own sandwich as you will be using natural peanut butter, 100% whole wheat bread, and a spread that is made with real fruits, but there is a reason uncrustables are imminently popular.

There have been questions and concerns on whether you can get food poisoning from uncrustables. Food poisoning is a common reason people seek daily medical treatment which is why taking note of what you consume is of great importance.

Quick answer: Yes, you can get food poisoning from uncrustables if it has been left out for too long. Uncrustables contain high-level fructose, and it is made with processed bread so health-wise, it is bad but can cause food poisoning when they are left out for 2 hours.

These sandwiches can be enjoyed at any time of the day, and they can make a cranky starving child happy. Kids love them and when there is a hungry crying child, there isn’t much time to get a loaf of bread and start digging out for jellies than to hand them slightly defrosted uncrustables.

Uncrustables is a sandwich that has been enjoyed by kids and adults for a very long time. It mimics the traditional peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with the crust off and majorly saves time.

However, to stay on the healthy side of things, read on to learn more about it.

Food Poisoning Explained, Briefly

Food poisoning is a common illness that occurs as a result of eating contaminated, toxic or spoiled food. Symptoms that are commonly associated with food poisoning include nausea, vomiting, fever, headache, and diarrhea.

You may also get muscle and joint aches, blood in your stool, or eventually become dehydrated which can make you dizzy.

Most of the time, food poisoning can pass in 12 to 48 hours which is how long it takes for a healthy body to purge out the infection. But it can last longer if you have a weaker immune system or a parasite. Some food poisoning can be severe and if left untreated, it can lead to serious illness.

Can You Get Food Poisoning From Uncrustables?
Image: Wikimedia Commons/ Austin Kirk

Can You Get Food Poisoning From Uncrustables?

You can get food poisoning from any food that has been left for too long especially when it’s not stored properly and uncrustables are not an exception.

If uncrustables are stored properly and consumed in time, it is very unlikely to get food poisoning from it but if not, there could be some trouble. Many people have been known to keep uncrustables for days and this is not entirely safe.

Uncrustables are not meant to be stored at room temperature for an extended period of time, but many people tend to do this. Uncrustables are the best eating in 1 day or less than 24 hours while unrefrigerated ones should be consumed in 6 to 8 hours.

Many parents have concerned about how safe uncrustables is and this is mostly because it does contain peanuts which means if your child is allergic to peanut then you want to keep them far away from them. Many uncrustables companies do not warn about the peanuts in uncrustables.

In conclusion, you should know that you can get food poisoning from uncrustables if you leave them out at room temperature for too long. So, if you rule out being allergic to ingredients in it then odds are the sickness comes from the way the consumer had an uncrustables sandwich prepped.

How Long Can Uncrustables Stay Fresh?

It is highly recommended that you keep uncrustables frozen until you are ready to eat. These sandwiches can stay one month past the due date on the box, but they won’t have the best taste.

It has been discovered that they are fresh and taste better when consumed in a day. They can 24 hours in the refrigerator but be sure to finish whatever you defrost within 6 hours.

Do Uncrustables Have to Be Frozen?

Yes, uncrustables are best left frozen until you are ready to thaw and eat them. Uncrustables can be thawed at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes and have them eaten within 6 to 8 hours.

Uncrustables that have been removed from the freezer can only be safe for 2 hours before it gets contaminated and should not be eaten again. Keep your uncrustables in the freezer and defrost only when you are ready to eat.

Wrapping Up

Lots of processed foods come in handy when you can’t cook, but this doesn’t mean they are good for your health and according to health experts, they should be avoided.

Nobody makes their own sandwiches anymore and uncrustables do save the day when your kids are hungry.

So, to keep it safe, keep uncrustables frozen when you are not ready to consume and once it is thawed, ensure to eat them as soon as possible to avoid getting food poisoning.

How useful was this post?

Tap on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Help us improve this post!

Tell us your thoughts in details, we welcome every feedback we can get.

Looking for something?

Follow us on social media!

>