Can Lysol disinfectant kill Toxoplasmosis? Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic disease caused by Toxoplasma gondii, transmitted through undercooked meat, soil, or cat feces. Lysol disinfectants serve the purpose of eliminating bacteria, viruses, diseases, and some food-borne illnesses.
Replicating to this objection, do you simply want to know if Lysol disinfectant can eliminate a disease like toxoplasmosis? Then, you will need to know what the understanding that works.
Yes, Lysol and most disinfectants will kill Toxoplasmosis gondii. However, the most reliable method of killing the parasite is always by heating your body temperature to 1400 degrees for at least 5 minutes.
This article discusses safety procedures on how to prevent toxoplasmosis gondii, and suggested products that can be used to effectively sanitize and disinfect your home and environment.
How To Reduce Risk of Toxoplasmosis At Home
Healthy people should follow the guidelines below to reduce the risk of toxoplasmosis i.e., if you have a weakened immune system, you should follow these guidelines.
1. Reduce risk from food
To prevent the risk of toxoplasmosis, and other infections from food, cook food to a safe temperature. A food thermometer should be used to measure the internal temperature of cooked meat.
Color is not a reliable indicator that meat has been cooked to a temperature high enough to kill harmful pathogens like Toxoplasma. Do not sample meat until it is cooked.
For whole cuts of meat (excluding poultry) cook to at least 145OF(63OC) as measured with a food thermometer placed in the thickest part of the meat, then allow the meat to rest for three minutes before carving or consuming.
For ground meat (excluding poultry) cook to at least 160OF (71OC), ground meats do not require a rest time
For all poultry (whole cuts and ground) cook at least 165OF (74OC). The internal temperature should be checked in the innermost part of the thigh, the innermost part of the wing, and the thickest part of the breast. Poultry does not require rest time.
2. Reduce risk from the environmental factors
To reduce the risk of toxoplasmosis from the environment, follow these safety procedures;
- Avoid drinking untreated water
- Wear gloves when gardening and during any contact with soil or sand because it might be contaminated with cat feces that contain Toxoplasma. Wash hands with soap and water after gardening or contact with soil or sand
- Teach children the importance of washing hands to prevent infection
- Keep outdoor sandboxes covered
- Have someone else clean the litter box. Cat only canned or dried commercial food or well-cooked table food, not raw or undercooked meats
- Ensure that the cat litter box is changed daily. The Toxoplasma parasite does not become infectious until 1 to 5 days after it is shed in a cat’s feces.
- If you are pregnant or immunocompromised;
- Avoid changing cat litter if possible. If no one else can perform that task, wear disposable gloves and wash your hands with soap and water afterward.
- Keep cats indoors to prevent them from hunting and reduce the chances they will become infected with Toxoplasma.
- Do not adopt or handle stray cats, especially kittens. Do not get a new cat while you are pregnant or immunocompromised.
What Disinfectant Kills Toxoplasmosis?
To effectively kill toxoplasmosis, one has to be administered certain antibiotics to assist your immune system in conquering this infection. Also, your environment needs to be properly cleaned, disinfected, and sanitized to repel toxoplasmosis.
Hence, we will be discussing how Lysol disinfectants and other active disinfectants are said to be effective in eliminating toxoplasmosis both in the food and the environment.
1. Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide Disinfectant Spray
This is a noncorrosive antibacterial disinfectant spray product that kills various forms of bacteria, fungal infections, microorganisms, and germs. This is a disinfectant spray that is formulated with no harsh formulated chemicals, or added fragrance, and can be effectively used to sanitize both hard and soft surfaces, kitchen area, living area, and the environment.
To Use: Simply spritz a generous amount on the affected surface, allow to sit for 30 seconds, then wipe until the surface is clear and clean.
2. Purell Healthcare Disinfectant Spray
This product is a powerful kill against harmful germs, grime, fungal infections, and bacteria. It is a germ-kill, without harsh chemicals, antibacterial, sanitizing spray, great for all surfaces, the kitchen, and total care of your home, hospital, and office. This is a budget-friendly, value-packed disinfectant cleaner that is formulated for making lives better and healthier.
3. Lysol Neutra Air Disinfectant Spray (Tropical breeze scent)
This product is a pleasant-smelling, bacteria-killing and effective sanitizing spray formulated to offer simple healthcare solutions for our homes and environment. This is a product great for effective cleaning of kitchens, living rooms, living surfaces, and furniture. Another of its great feature is that it leaves no residue and spreads a pleasant smell to the room or environment after use.
4. Black Diamond Stoneworks Surface Cleaner
This is a disinfecting surface cleaner product, that is made with a hypoallergenic formula, safe for food contact, neutral PH level, and is powerful against grease, germs, fungal bacteria, and infections dwelling on your granite, marble, and various types of hard and soft surfaces. This product helps your countertop against oil, coffee, food particles, grime, and bacteria.
How Lysol kills Toxoplasmosis
To get rid of Toxoplasmosis with the use of Lysol disinfectant, you need to know the surfaces and items to be applied on as well as the disinfection procedures.
The surfaces and items to disinfect include; floors, door knobs, window handles, buttons, switches, furniture surfaces, trash cans, sinks, toilets, bathtubs, faucets, shower heads, floor drains, ventilators, fans, etc.
The basic procedures to follow in the process of applying Lysol disinfectant include;
- Start with wiping clean the less soiled surfaces
- Towels should be soaked in Lysol before use
- Rinse articles and surfaces with water and wipe dry ten minutes after disinfection
- Diluted ones can be used to disinfect toilets
- Do not flush large amounts of highly concentrated Lysol down the toilet to keep the sewage treatment plant running smoothly
- Wear a mask and rubber gloves while using Lysol
Frequently Asked Questions
Can bleach kill Toxoplasma?
To induce structural modification of the blear-eyed oocyst wall, the parasites were treated with bleach to remove the outer layer and heated at 800C. In contrast to bleach treatment, heating oocysts at 80Oc efficiently kills Toxoplasma.
How long can toxoplasmosis live on surfaces?
Oocysts can survive in moist soil or water for up to 18 months. They can survive in uncovered feces for 46 days and for 334 days when covered.
How do you kill toxoplasmosis gondii on surfaces?
Toxoplasmosis is a strong harmful food-borne disease, and to effectively get rid of them, experts advise the use of strong disinfectants and sanitizing cleaners to effectively repel them.
How do you disinfect toxoplasmosis?
Freezing meat to 12OC for at least 24 hours will kill most Toxoplasma tissue cysts, but sporulated oocysts can survive at 20OC for up to 28 days. Washing kitchen utensils and surfaces that have come in contact with raw meat with soap and scalding hot water will kill any bradyzoites or tachyzoites present.
With all the aforementioned, I hope this article “Does Lysol kill Toxoplasmosis?” helped in clearing up any form of confusion surrounding it. You now know everything you need to know about Lysol disinfectant and Toxoplasma.
Hopefully, we were able to answer most of your questions regarding this topic.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Help us improve this post!
Tell us your thoughts in details, we welcome every feedback we can get.