Brownies are a sweet burst of chocolatey goodness, made in different forms and shapes. Loved by many and a perfect dessert for happy occasions like birthdays, weddings, or a simple family bonding time. Depending on the density they can turn out to be fudgy or cakey.
But sadly mistakes can happen and a bunch of your homemade brownies can get overcooked and hard instead of soft and moist or in the case of your moist leftover brownies turning out to be hard the next day. Now the question on your mind at the moment is “how do I soften my brownies?”
Overcooked brownies can be softened in a variety of ways, and these include the wax paper method, use of sliced bread, microwave method, and oven method. You can utilize any of these options depending on which is convenient for you.
With that being said, you may still wonder how these stated methods work, so let’s dive into it right away.
How To Soften Overcooked Brownies
No matter how hard and crisp your brownies get, they can still be moistened and in the case where they get hard overnight, they can still be restored to their former glory. There are various options to pick from if you find yourself in this situation;
1. The wax paper method
The wax paper method is a great technique for softening hard brownies. If you have wax paper lying around in your kitchen you would want to grab it and put it to work. You will also need a plastic container, preferably a large container big enough for your brownies.
- Step 1: Line your plastic container with wax paper
- Step 2: Cut your brownies into small squares and arrange them in the lined plastic container.
- Step 3: Set another layer of brownies by placing another piece of wax paper over them.
- Step 4: Repeat step 3 if there’s still space for another layer in your container.
- Step 5: Seal the container and let it sit for about 8-10 hours.
Please note that this method can be used only when you have enough time on your hands and you are not in a hurry.
2. The sliced bread method
This is the most conventional of all methods, it does take quite an amount of time but it is very effective in making your brownies soft especially when you don’t want to put them in heat again. As weird as it may sound, using slices of bread is a good idea to soften your brownies.
However, this will require hours of effective work and you need to be patient.
These are the steps to take with the sliced bread method;
- Step 1: Get a loaf of sliced bread (preferably with white bread)
- Step 2: Place your brownies in between two sliced pieces of bread.
- Step 3: Put the sandwich in an airtight container and seal it properly.
- Step 4: Leave it sealed overnight or for at least 8-10 hours.
This method may seem a bit strange but it is very effective. If you’re not in a haste to soften those brownies, you can try this and you’ll wish you knew this method a bit sooner.
3. The microwave method
Generally, the microwave is used for quick and easy heating. And can do wonders when it comes to softening hard brownies. It has proven to be one of the most effective and useful methods for softening brownies and unlike the wax paper and sliced bread method, it is a faster option as it takes only about 5 to 10 seconds to be done.
Steps to follow with this method;
- Step 1: Lightly dampen a paper towel
- Step 2: Place your hard brownies on the dampened paper towel and wrap it firmly.
- Step 3: Put the wrapped brownies into the microwave.
- Step 4: Set a 5 seconds timer in the microwave.
- Step 5: After five seconds check on the brownies to know if it is warm and soft. If you are not quite satisfied you can heat the brownies for another five seconds.
- Step 6: Bring out your brownies, they are ready.
Side note: You can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream as a topping. You’ll enjoy them so much better.
4. The oven method
The oven is one of the quick and effective ways to soften hard brownies. Although it will take a longer time than the microwave. But notwithstanding this is still a good choice. The oven will require 7-10 minutes to soften your brownie.
This is because you’ll need to preheat the oven before using it. Follow these steps to soften brownies in the oven:
- Step 1: You’ll need to preheat your oven to 300°F.
- Step 2: Put your brownies in an oven-safe dish
- Step 3 Now that the oven is preheated, put your brownie in the oven.
- Step 4: Wait for about 5 minutes then check on the brownies to ensure that you don’t overcook them.
- Step 5: Now that your brownies are soft, bring them out of the oven and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you keep brownies from getting hard overnight
You can keep brownies from getting hard overnight by properly storing them. It’s best to keep them at room temperature in an airtight container rather than keeping them in the refrigerator.
Why are my brownies dry and hard?
Your brownies can get hard and dry as a result of overbaking, over mixing the batter, not using good quality chocolate, and not accurately measuring the ingredients. These are the few mistakes one can make when baking brownies.
How do you soften hard brownies?
Several ways can be adopted to soften hard brownies. Using sliced bread to moisten them overnight can work as well as using wax paper. Although these methods require a lot of hours, however, you can utilize the microwave for a faster process, and also your convection oven can be put to use.
Does refrigerating brownies make them hard?
Yes, refrigerating your brownies can make them hard or dry. Brownies can last for weeks or more when they are stored properly or sealed in an airtight container. You do not necessarily have to keep them in the refrigerator as it can boost the rate at which they become stale or hard. Brownies will last longer in a humid environment, the refrigerator however has a very low humidity level.
Hard brownies can be a disappointment, everyone wants a bite of a fudgy ooey gooey brownie and not a hard and dry one.
Fortunately, there are a few ways to soften those brownies. And one of the techniques is to use wax paper to moisten the brownies. Similar to this technique is the sliced bread method as they both require patience and a lot of waiting time.
However, the quicker way is to put them in the microwave and oven. These methods take a few seconds and minutes respectively and then your hard brownies are soft and ready.
More Baking Guides On TheHomeTome:
- Do You Tip A Cake Baker? (How Much to Tip)
- What Type Of Bowl is Best For Dough to Rising?
- How To Toast Bagels Without A Toaster (4 Ways)
- How To Bake Cookies Without Parchment Paper
- How to Cool A Cake Fast (3 Methods to Try)
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Help us improve this post!
Tell us your thoughts in details, we welcome every feedback we can get.